Sunday, August 23, 2009

Chh ch ch ch change.

I had a little work get-away the past few days. There is something about taking a 'break' that makes you want to partake of the yummy treats.....especially on a boat with the sun warming your skin. The grapes are good and healthy but somehow dipped in the marshmallow cream cheese dip they taste even better. I kept it to a minimum. Could I have totally abstained...probably, but I was enjoying myself. Which brings me to my definition of healthy and happy. How is that defined? Let's start with 'healthy'. There are those out there that believe "I can believe it's not Butter" is 'healthy' and others that are spouting margarine is a molecule away from plastic and NOT 'healthy'. I am of the opinion that 'going organic' is kind of the latest craze. After reading what I've read it makes sense. There is some very persuasive research out there. When Brian was serving his mission he remembers the NO protein only carb diets were the craze and many elders lost a lot of weight. There is a lot of persuasive research around the High Protein...low carb craze. So what does one listen to? You tell me NO dairy and I start getting defensive. You take away my chocolate or diet coke FOREVER and I might rip your head off. We are deeply attached to our foods. Especially the foods we were raised on. My bff Kath steered me toward the tasty simple healthy blog and this lady is super organic...no white four, nothing refined. etc.etc.etc. She had 8 suggestions on there that were given a week at time and it got me thinking about change. I can't organify my entire life all of my children's eating habits over night. That would be over-whelming and the change wouldn't last. I've decided to take it a recipe at a time, a week at a time and see how I feel. I've decided this route does NOT mean rapid weight loss (bummer), but it does mean permanent change. While on the boat this weekend I looked at some of the pictures with me in them and I thought...ouch! my thighs, my arms...etc.etc. just not quite where I want to be BUT I was strong enough to pull my self out of the water with every wake-boarding or wake-surfing turn I got. Saturday morning I did the 'loop' at the cabin which is 5 miles of monster hills and I did the run portion without stopping. Exercise or nutrition? I think it's both. I will continue with the goal of no refined sugar and no white flour until our trip but I am going to take a weekly focus (borrowed from the good woman's blog) and try to make the 'healthy' changes I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment